Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Back to School Night

I survived my first Back to School Night. I was admittedly a little nervous about how it was going to go because the parents scare me more than the kids do! I got advice and ideas from my colleagues and ended up putting together a simple PowerPoint presentation (I don't have a SmartBoard) about myself, my expectations, and an overview of the curriculum. I'm sure I talked way too fast but it overall went very well and the parents didn't have many questions like I anticipated.

I have a VERY chatty group of kids and I feel like I spend a majority of my day trying to get them quieted down. I hate feeling like I constantly have to be on their case because I don't want to be perceived as a disciplinary. I like order and things well-managed but I try to do so in a positive manner. Lately, though, it has been really difficult to do so. With this in mind, I was really curious about what, if anything, the parents had to say or ask about my management policy.

I was overwhelmed with the feedback that I received. One parent told me that her son has never been so excited to come to school before. She said that he used to fake sick and try anything to get out of going, but this year he can't wait for it. Another parent said his son is more motivated and trying harder than he has before. As a first year teacher, I am constantly second-guessing myself and my teaching strategies. I worry about whether or not I am truly reaching the kids or failing them completely. Hearing these comments from just a couple parents reaffirms why I am doing this and that maybe I am having an impact, even if I don't immediately see it. Just like my student, I can't wait for school tomorrow!

Tuesday 9-10-13
Red or orange? 
When I originally bought these pants, I was looking for a nice red color. As soon as I put these on, I was in love. However, seeing them in another light, they actually looked more orange. I still can't completely tell what to call this hue but I simply don't care anymore. They are the best. 
Pants: Gap
Tee: Gap Outlet
Shoes: Payless (yes seriously. So comfy too!)
Jacket: New York & Co. 
Necklace: Ebay

I managed to find some time to go home and change before Back to School Night. Don't mind my dog or boyfriend photo-bombing the picture! 
Dress: Eliza J (RP: $158. I found it at Ross for only $7.49 on clearance whaaaat?!)
Wedges: Old
Watch: Fossil 



No comments:

Post a Comment