Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

Daily 5

If you haven't heard of the Daily 5 yet, I highly recommend you pick up the book by sisters and teachers, Gail Boushey and Joan Moser. Daily 5 is basically a curriculum framework that helps students develop habits that lead to literacy independence. I love how accessible and organized the book is and how it explains every step of the process.

There are 5 components to it (obviously)--- Read to self, read to someone, listen to reading, word work, and work on writing. However, I decided that these didn't exactly work for me and my kids so I modified them slightly. My 5 stations are listen to reading, word work, grammar, comprehension, and work on writing. For listen to reading, groups of students actually meet with me at the back table and we take turns reading from a novel together. I also do incorporate read to self, however, I like for my students to do this every single day so I didn't include it in the rotations. For the other stations, the students complete one a day and then rotate throughout the week. By Friday, they will have completed every rotation.

Daily 5 Rotations

Another thing that I do differently is that I group my students and designate the stations, rather than letting them choose. I felt that this was more appropriate for my students because it ensures they go through each station and I don't feel that they are completely ready for independence just yet. We will get there! It also helps cut down on the talking (slightly). That is a HUGE problem with this group.

Groups and Assignments

This week I decided to use the language arts workbook for the activities during the rotations. Eventually, I will have them "choose" an activity for each rotation from designated folders. I have seen some great ideas on Pinterest for this and I am really excited to get them together.

One such activity that I have started using is the whole class journal during work on writing. I have 5 journals with different writing prompts on the outside. Students can choose a journal and write freely about the topic. Then someone else can continue writing about the same topic in the journal. The students like reading what the other students have written and it is fun to see the different ideas that come from them.
Whole Class Journals


I'm hoping that within the next month the students will have the routine down and I can give them a little more freedom. For now, the structure that I have implemented is working for us.


9-6-13
Casual Friday (TGIF)
Shirt: Cynthia Rowley at Marshall's
Jeans: Old Navy
Wedges: Old

My dog wanted to be in the picture too. Say hi to Duke! 
Blazer: Mossimo at Target
Necklace: Target (old)

Have a great weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment