Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Never Forget



Last night I was trying to figure out how I would teach my kiddos about the tragedy of 9/11 when I realized that they weren't even born when it happened! I can remember where I was and what I was doing so vividly that it's like I'm still there. I pray that they never have to experience a moment like that in their lives.

I decided not to do a formal lesson, but just had the topic as part of our morning community meeting. I had them think about a moment in their lives, good or bad, that they can remember vividly. Then I had them share with a partner because they ALL had memories to share. After that, I explained to them that for me, that moment is 9/11. We talked about what the word "infamy" means and how 9/11 is an important part of our history, yet we are still living with the aftermath today. We talked about the loss of life but I also wanted them to understand the heroism that came from that day as well.

It was a really touchy subject, but one that I think is so important. At the end of the day, I gave the students a homework assignment to interview a member of their families about 9/11. I am hoping that by hearing about the events from the perspective of a family member will help them understand the importance of the day on another level.

On another note, this week is a really difficult one for personal reasons. We lost my grandfather 3 years ago today, and my grandmother 2 years ago this past Monday. Not a day goes by that I don't think of them and miss them very much. I love the Grace Potter and I seem to be listening to this song a lot this week...

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals -- Stars

Wednesday 9-11-13
Electric Blue 
Top: Marshall's
Pants: Gap
Wedges: Payless
Necklace: Gold chain w/ my grandpa's ring


No comments:

Post a Comment